FRIDAY 17 through SUNDAY 26 NOVEMBER 2017
Join us in November this year for the inaugural Mondo Travel & Heroworx fundraising sportfishing challenge.
‘Raro Busted & Bruised 2017’ – a week of great fishing in the fabulous Cook Islands … and all for a worthy cause: the local Puaikura Volunteer Fire Brigade is currently looking to erect a new covered parking bay for its fire appliance.
Join us in November as we enjoy the fabulous fishing and hospitality offered by the Cook Islands, and help raise some funds for this worthy volunteer organisation.
COST: $2,695.00 per person share twin.
- Non-fishing partners: $1,995.00 per person share twin.
- Single room supplement $645.00
- Air travel Auckland/Rarotonga/Auckland flying Air New Zealand.
- Meet and Greet at Rarotonga International Airport plus return transfers to your resort.
- 9 nights accommodation on a share twin basis in a Garden Room at Club Raro Resort.
- Opening night BBQ Dinner & Drinks – Cook Islands Game Fishing Club.
- Four half-day sport fishing trips. (approx. five hours fishing per trip).
- Prize Giving Dinner, Drinks & Fundraising Auction.
- Tour Shirt.
- Airport departure taxes unless included in air ticket cost.
- Travel Insurance – we recommend everyone takes out suitable cover for those unforeseen events.
- Food & Beverages, unless stipulated in the itinerary.
- $30.00 Membership Fee to the Cook Islands Game Fishing Club.
NB: All costs are guaranteed until June 16th, 2017. Those persons/teams not registered with a tour deposit by this date may be subject to airfare increases.
- FRI 17 AUCKLAND/RAROTONGA – It’s an early check-in before departing 8.50am on Air New Zealand’s Boeing 777, Flight NZ61. During the flight, our aircraft will cross the International Dateline, arriving Rarotonga 1.35pm Thursday afternoon.
- THU 16 RAROTONGA – On arrival, we’ll receive a traditional island greeting before being transferred to our accommodation at Club Raro Resort.
OPENING NIGHT – “Meet the Skippers BBQ & Briefing”. A warm welcome this evening at the Cook Islands Game Fishing Club to meet the local Skippers and Deckies for drinks followed by BBQ dinner, tournament briefing and team boat draws. (See Fishing program)
- FRI 17 FISHING – First day of fishing starts, with the morning teams departing Avatiu Wharf 7.00 am and returning 12.00noon. The afternoon teams depart Avatiu Wharf 12.30pm returning 5.30pm.
- SAT 18 FISHING – Day two and, with points on the board from day one, we should know who’s leading the charge and what’s required to climb the leader board.
- SUN 19 AT LEISURE – Respecting the local day of rest, today is free to explore the island and enjoy the experience of living in a tropical paradise. Check out the island’s many sights and make sure you book early for an evening meal at one of the many great restaurants dotted around the island. The ‘Waterline Restaurant & Bar’ for a true beach shack experience is worth a visit, as is ‘On the Beach’ at Manuia Beach Resort.
- MON 20 thru THU 23 FISHING – Over the next four days, each team will fish two x half days, with a couple of lay days scheduled for weather delays. Fishing times and boats will be posted well in advance, with regular updates each evening from our headquarters at the Cook Islands Game Fishing Club.
- FRI 24 PRIZEGIVING DINNER & FUNDRAISER AUCTION – Party time! Tonight is awards time, kicking off with pre-dinner drinks, an ‘Island Style Buffet’, Prize giving and Grand Auction! (Full details to be announced)
- SAT 25 DEPART RAROTONGA – Late breakfast and time for final farewells before our transfer back to Rarotonga International Airport in time for 2.55pm departure aboard our Air New Zealand Boeing 787 – Dreamliner Flight, NZ45.
- SUN 26 ARRIVE AUCKLAND – Having re-crossed the dateline during the flight, our aircraft will arrive Auckland 6.20pm Sunday evening.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
ABOUT HEROWORX: Heroworx.org is a ‘brothers in arms’ type project developed by Globalsportfish Limited, parent company of SPORTFISHESCAPES, and its strategic partners in support of our offshore emergency responder communities; volunteer groups who don’t always get the support that some of our home-based volunteer emergency responder groups enjoy. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join us on this Heroworx project and become a supporter.
ACCOMMODATION: Our base is ‘Club Raro Resort’ in Tupapa, located just a short walk from the Cook Islands Game Fishing Club, the town centre and the world-famous Trader Jacks Bar. It is also only a 5-minute drive (approx. 40-minute walk) to the charter boats docked in Avatiu harbour. The property offers a selection of rooms catering for everyone’s budget. (Room upgrades available – see Room Upgrade Supplements). Club Raro facilities include a swimming pool with bar, restaurant and the all new ‘Rumba Bar’ featuring 26 different rums and cocktails.
COOK ISLANDS GAME FISHING CLUB: The C.I.G.F.C. will be tournament headquarters. The club will be open each fishing day from 1pm for $3.50 beers and daily results.
DEPOSIT: A non-refundable $250.00 deposit per person will be required at the time of booking with the balance due 30 days prior to travel.
The fishing scene in Rarotonga starts before you leave the harbour with some of the biggest GT’s you will ever see cruising amongst the moored charter fleet. These beasts are mean and dangerous, having sent many over exuberant fisho’s to the emergency department. While no one fishes for these big boys (they’re a local attraction; unofficially but fiercely protected by the Avatiu boys and girls) getting too close with the camera or dangling the wrong body part in the water can cause serious damage!
The real fishing commences just a few minutes from the harbour entrance, where the bottom drops away to 600 metres within a half a kilometre of the shore. The action can start at any time, with Wahoo and Dog Tooth Tuna cruising just off the reefs and around one of the three strategically placed inshore FADs (Fish Aggregation Devices). Further offshore, another five FADs. can be located, often holding schools of Yellow Fin Tuna, Mahi-Mahi and Marlin. With lines in the water just minutes after leaving port, half day trips in Rarotonga offer plenty of fishing time with 5 hours on the water each trip.
Like most tropical destinations, Rarotonga has a morning and afternoon bite. Fishing will be based around each team fishing 4 x half day trips; two morning trips and two afternoon trips, providing everyone a chance to experience both bite times.
“Busted & Bruised” is a charity fishing event where the tournament is more about having fun and supporting a local volunteer emergency responder group rather than winning prizes. Predominantly a team challenge, the competition will be based around the team’s total fish weight at the end of 4 days fishing. There will be individual awards for the heaviest fish in each section. Full details will be released at the ‘Opening Night Briefing’.
- The tournament is limited to ten international teams.
- Local fishing teams are welcome to enter the tournament, fishing the same times on the water as the visiting teams.
- Teams are made up of four members, with each team fishing a different charter vessel each day.,
- Charter vessels will provide all tackle required for trolling lures, baits etc. Teams wishing to jig and use poppers around the FADs will need to bring their own equipment. (Some very nasty toothy critters so be prepared!)
SINGLE ANGLERS Every effort will be made to accommodate single anglers wishing to join a team. If you are a single angler and wish to participate, please CONTACT US to register early, and we will do our best to get you a place with a team looking for an angler.
FUNDRAISING AUCTION Following drinks and dinner on Prize Giving evening, there will be a ‘Grand Auction’ in support of the local Puaikura Volunteer Fire Brigade. A selection of donated items, including marine electronics, fishing tackle and travel related product, will be auctioned … with all the proceeds going to this very worthy cause.
RENTAL CARS: Rental cars and motor bikes can be booked prior to arrival or once on the island. Please CONTACT US for assistance or advice.
ROOM UPGRADE SUPPLEMENTS:
Accommodation has been based on standard garden rooms. If you wish to upgrade to a different room type, the following supplements will apply:
- Poolside Room: $95.00 per person
- Beachside Room: $190.00 per person
POST TOURNAMENT TRAVEL OPTIONS:
For those wishing to extend their Heroworx Busted & Bruised sport fishing escape, the Mondo crew highly recommend a visit to the island of Aitutaki. This tropical paradise is just a 50-minute flight from Rarotonga, and features one of the most stunning lagoons found anywhere in the world.
AITUTAKI 3 nights/4days $1170.00 per person share twin
- Cost Includes
- Return flights flying Air Rarotonga.
- Meet & Greet Aitutaki Airport.
- Return Hotel Transfers.
- Daily Tropical Island Breakfast.
- 3 nights’ accommodation Tamanu Beach Resort.
To obtain further details or to register your fishing team for ‘Raro Busted & Bruised 2017’, CONTACT US or call Peter on on 021 434 220.